After a few hospitalizations and several illnesses, being sent to be a “study case” at Johns Hopkins Medical Center, and walking away with “we just don’t know what’s wrong with you, sorry about that”, I decided that standard medicinal practices were not working (I went through 12 medical specialists – none could figure it out). I was told it was “likely” I had Lupus, and provided the “opportunity” to take medicines with side effects such as “stroke, blindness, etc.”. Um, no thank you! Now, I’m not a doctor, and I am NOT prescribing anything to anyone – just so we’re clear. I believe that there are those that need medicines, and those that do not – I am not judging, but rather, telling you my story and what worked for me.
Long story made shorter, I decided to look into Naturopathic Medical treatment, and I am so glad that I did! After several non-invasive (super simple) tests, I was given a few supplements, put on a detox diet, and have NOT been hospitalized SINCE. AMAZING. The “wet sock treatment”, as you’ll see below, was one of the most awesome, simplistic, cost-free things I could do, and it WORKED. It isn’t a “get better overnight” kind of thing, but it DOES help you sleep, and speeds up the healing process, and frankly, I LOVE it. Because I think it is fabulous, I am sharing it with you. Yes, the ice-cold socks on your feet make life “interesting” for a few seconds, but the cold doesn’t last long, just be sure to soak your feet in very warm water for a long time FIRST. The few seconds of discomfort from putting the cold socks on are WORTH it when you’re feeling better in the morning!
If you choose to try it, please let me know how it worked for you!
The Wet Sock Treatment provides the most benefit when done at least 3 nights in a row, but there is no harm in doing it as often as you feel the need or desire.
Signs that you need the wet sock treatment include: Sore throat, any inflammation or infection of the throat, neck pain, ear infections, headaches, migraines, nasal congestion, upper respiratory infections, coughs, bronchitis, and sinus infections. This is also known to help people sleep better, so you don’t have to be “sick” to do this treatment!
What you’ll need:
1) 1 pair of cotton socks, 2) 1 pair of thick wool socks, 3) towel, 4) warm water to soak feet in
- Take a pair of cotton socks and soak them completely in cold water. Be sure to wring the socks out thoroughly so they do not drip (I keep a pair in the freezer, literally FROZEN, so I’m always ready!).
- IMPORTANT: Warm your feet first. Do this by soaking your feet in very warm water or taking a warm bath for at LEAST 5-10 minutes.
- Dry off thoroughly with a dry towel.
- Put the cold (or, in my case, FROZEN) wet socks on your feet, and immediately cover with the thick wool socks. Go directly to bed and cover up to avoid getting chilled.
- Keep the socks on overnight, and when you wake up, the cotton socks will be dry!
Effects of the Wet Sock Treatment: This treatment acts to reflexively increase the circulation and decrease congestion in the upper respiratory passages, head, and throat. It also has a sedating action and many people report that they sleep much better during the treatment. This treatment is also effective for pain relief and increases the healing response during acute infections.
Stay healthy, stay well!